Friday, October 1, 2010

Week One of the new job.

I can't begin to tell you how much I'm enjoying my new job. My first day on the job I was being trained. I picked up on the accounting software so easily that by 10 a.m. I was told to just go to it. I guess they felt I had it down, and once they had me in the computer, I was on my own. The second day was my first check run, and after showing me the ropes on that, they left me to finish the job. It felt good to know that I really DO know what I'm doing, and that they recognized it so quickly.

I am afraid that the lady who's training me is feeling a little threatened right now. She told the controller on Tuesday that she'd shown me all the stuff he wanted her to show me, and that I'd completed the work. He asked if she had shown me how to do the debt service yet, and she had a funny look on her face but replied "No, I do that on the 20th - it's already completed". He then told her she should show me how to post revenue at which point she spoke up saying "What? You want me to train her on how to do my whole job so you can get rid of me?" It's human nature to feel vulnerable and I can understand her feelings. I don't know how to comfort her, and although I don't think they're even considering replacing her, they are concerned about her health and so that could be the reason behind the request. Hopefully, as time goes by, she'll feel more secure and we'll be good friends.

It's really been wonderful being busy and productive. It hasn't been wonderful having to get up at the crack of dawn to go to work. I set my alarm for 6:30 a.m., but more times than not I wake up earlier - usually between 5 and 5:30 a.m., so I just get ready and go. The commute isn't fun, but there's light at the end of the tunnel since they're thinking about moving and/or I might be able to work from home at some point. I'm not complaining, it's just part of the deal.